Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Away from little fingers...

We're living in a highrise while our home is being built, and while I enjoy living here, we really miss our library. We put about 50 boxes of books in storage, but we've already accumulated more books than the apt. bookshelves can accommodate. Of course, this lack of space is exacerbated by the fact that Weezie has claimed the bottom two shelves of all the bookcases. We don't really have any more space to put additional shelving, unfortunately.

I ran across these cool bookshelves from Design Within Reach that might solve our problem. I think we can squeeze a couple in our bedroom, to which Weeze generally does not have access. The tall shelf holds ~90 books, and the short holds ~50. My only hesitation is the price - it's $250 for tall and $200 for the short (with a $25 discount on each if you buy multiple). What do you think, worth it?

3 comments:

Rachele said...

I love the look of the bookcases, so I say if you want them, go for it. I would hesitate at the price also, however. I got this thing for about $300 on sale (http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=991&f=6843&q=puzzle&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1) and it holds about 3x as many books as one of these vertical pieces. I don't know if a book/$ ratio is appropriate, as these bookcases have an artistic feel to them which is more than just storage value.

Rachele said...

btw, i am not suggesting you buy the puzzle bookcase. i'm just offering it as an example of books/$, if that ratio matters to you

mom2reese said...

I'm more concerned about the book/sq. footage ratio. I don't have room for a traditional bookshelf in the apt. unfortunately. Thanks for the feedback, tho!