Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day!

I meant to wake up early this morning and let Jim sleep in. Of course, when I did manage to wake up, I found myself alone in bed, and it was 9AM! Jim had already gotten Weez up, changed a gigantic poopie diaper, and given her her morning bottle so I could sleep in. He's always done this on weekends and still does even though I'm a SAHM now. Just one of the reason he rocks! Weez gave him his gifts (an iPod RoadTrip so he can listen to his iPod in his car, and one of those terribly tacky fiber optic plant things. I gave it to him with the caveat that it had to go in his office and not in our home, LOL) Side note: OK, I know she should be off bottles by now, but I'm in denial about her growing up. She takes sippy/straw cups during the day, but I still give her a bottle in the morning and one at night. I haven't even tried to wean her off these bottles. I've been saying that I'll wean her at 18 months - that's just a few weeks from now. It will be harder for me than it will be for Weez, I'm sure).

We headed over to my SIL's for Father's Day lunch. I love going over there for family gatherings; she always invites my side of the family, and it's always so pleasant and relaxing. She has a beautiful kid-friendly home on 3 acres with a stocked pond in the back. A typical gathering involves copious amounts of delicious food, some people fishing, some people napping on the porch, kids laughter in the air as they run and play. When I think of 6,000 sq. ft. homes, I tend to think of cold, museum-like spaces, but my SIL has created such a warm, comfortable atmosphere - almost cozy, even! Dandy and Ong Ngoai got their presents - mugs with a pic of Weez (see inset) and gift cards to Academy. We gave them mugs of Weez last year, and I plan on keeping up the tradition. It'll be cool to see when they have a "complete set" in 18 years :)

Weezie had a wonderful time playing with her cousins and getting the attention of two sets of grandparents and her aunts (my sister joined us) and uncle. She used to be really reserved at family gatherings as she is whenever she's around people she doesn't see regularly. She's definitely gotten over her reservations - she was singing, dancing, and being her usual funny self today.

When we got back, Jim and I went for a run at the club after dropping Weez off at the club daycare. I just started a 30-day fitness regimen with a trainer - basically working out every day and giving up alcohol, rice/flour/potatoes after breakfast, anything fried, and diet soda. I also have a 2 cup limit on coffee (I'm a pot-a-day drinker), and no more ciggies when I have a drink (obviously since I can't drink). Once the 30 days are over, I can start incorporating things back in moderation. I've been on it a week and feel GREAT. I've only lost a pound, but one of the primary reasons I wanted to do this is to make a lifestyle change. I want to raise Weeze healthily, and in order to do that, I feel like I have to set a good example for her. Obviously I hope to lose weight, but I already feel that doing this regimen is worth the effort.

All in all, a wonderful day with my extended family and awesome hubbie. I know it's Father's Day, but I feel pretty blessed myself...

No comments: