As we were driving to my parents' house for the requisite weekly Weez visit, I was thinking about how summer was coming to an end and we had yet to make a trip to the beach (a real beach, i.e., NOT Galveston). By the time we arrived, I had already mapped out a trip for the whole family - my parents, sister, Weez and I renting a condo in South Padre for a week, and J joining us for 3-day weekend (work's too hectic right now for him to take a full week off). Everyone thought it was a great idea, so I immediately made arrangements for the condo and flights for J and one of my sisters (who has to return early to start back at work August 8).
Interestingly enough, because of the last minute plans, I ended up booking the same condo we used to go to on our family vacations in Padre when I was a kid. I'm excited since I love going to the beach, and it'll be fun to spend time with my family and vacation with them as an adult. Not to mention the 24/7 access to free babysitting :)
We're leaving next Tuesday and driving to McAllen to visit my Aunt and her family for a day before moving on to South Padre (1.5 hour away from my Aunt's home). It's about 5 hours to McAllen, so I'm a bit worried about Weezie being in the car so long. Luckily, she will have my mother and sister in the car to be at her entertainment beck and call. Her last long trip was when she still a wee babe and we were trying to leave Houston to avoid Hurricane Rita. We were in the car for 7.5 hours and traveled 25 miles - not something I'd like to ever repeat. Hopefully this trip will be a might less stressful.
In other news, J found a property in the Heights that's perfect for flipping. We drove by together on Sunday and made an offer. The owner accepted, and we should be closing August 30th. Woohoo! Now, normally I wouldn't get terribly excited since J does this pretty regularly, but we've decided that this flip will be my project. I've wanted to get more involved, and now I actually have the time to do so. The house needs top to bottom work - rewiring, sheetwork, the whole shebang. It's a small house, though, so I'm hoping I won't get too overwhelmed. Obviously I'm going to rely a lot on J's experience for the contractor negotiations. I can never hope to be as good as he on financial negotiations, but I think I'll hold my own as far as cracking the whip and getting things done. Famous last words?
Thursday, July 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment