Wednesday, July 19, 2006

18 months update

A little late, but Reese had her 18 month appointment a few weeks ago. Inspired by our friends the Handkes who recently posted baby Van's stats, I thought I'd post Reese's.

She is in the 70th percentile in both height and weight at 25lbs 3oz and 32" long. Yay for being proportionate!

Words:
  • Dog-dog
  • Elmo
  • Mama
  • Dada
  • Way Dada? (Where's dada?)
  • Ba-ba (drink)
  • Baby (for babies and her Stitch doll)
  • Shoes
  • Ball (balls and grapes/blueberries)
  • No
  • Hi
  • Yah (yes)
  • Mine!
  • Allo? (hello?)
  • Boon (balloon)
  • Clock
  • Ta tu! (thank you)
  • Up & down! (bounces when she does this)
  • Bubbos (bubbles, she says this with an accent on the second syllable)
  • Coo-Coo (cookie and crackers)
  • Sassy (name of her friend Mia's puppy)
  • Bye-bye!
  • Poopy!
  • Ong ngoai ("grandfather" in Vietnamese)
  • Ai day ("Who is that?". I don't think I spelled that right. She also uses it for "What's that" as well. Incorrect, but still cute)
  • Um-um (eat)
I put exclamations after some of the words because that's how she says them. She is also a veritable chatterbox of other nonsensical sounds I haven't quite deciphered yet. It's really fascinating seeing her communication skills progress - though I'm quite over thinking that "Mine!" is cute. She also loves to sing along to children's songs like Elmo's World, Wheels on the Bus, and Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. She doesn't say the words exactly, but she'll make sounds in the same rhythm

My parents are convinced that when she says dog-dog, she's actually saying cho-cho (dog-dog in Vietnamese). They also have a dog that is similar in size to Sassy, and they think she's trying to say "Chelsea" (their dog). It's quite funny - kind of like the sound that a dog makes (bow-wow! ruff-ruff!) is different in other countries (wau-wau in Vietnamese, bau-bau in Italian, etc.)

The words we do agree that she's saying in Vietnamese (Ong ngoai and Ai day) are perfectly accented. She also repeats many of the words my parents say to her, but since she doesn't use them consistently, I haven't included them in the list. I've been trying to teach her Vietnamese, but it's difficult since for all intents and purposes, Vietnamese is my second language. I speak it fairly well, but since I don't "think" in Vietnamese, I often forget to speak to her in it. Oh, yeah, Whitey's a problem, too, since he only knows how to say pho (noodle soup), bun (vermicelli), and ba ngoai (grandmother). Though I suppose Reese is all set if she needs to ask my mom for lunch :)

No comments: