I've been fighting a cold for about a week now. Besides that being sick sucks in and of itself, I've only been able to run once since my 12-miler a week and a half ago. I'm in taper mode, so at this point I don't have to get major mileage in, but it makes me nervous to not be able to run as much as I had planned right before a race.Happy New Year!
Jim booked a day at the spa for me on Saturday (for Valentine's) - brownie points for him for actually booking the services rather than giving me a gift certificate. Don't get me wrong, I love the GC's, but I get so busy I often don't get around to scheduling appointments. I felt good enough to actually enjoy the treatments, but by evening I was pooped. We had to cancel the dinner reservations Jim had made, so hopefully we can reschedule that soon.
Jim and I spent the afternoon with my parents and sisters on Sunday. We had traditional Banh Tet, which I love. It's really only eaten really once a year (though you can buy them yearlong at some Vietnamese grocers/delis), so I stuffed myself silly. I'm 9 lbs down from my Christmas weight high, and I think I ate that all back in one day. Oh well, once a year, right?
Yeah, she's our kid
A while back, Jim did a really cool setup in Reese's bunk bed with some extra rope lighting. She sleeps in the bottom bunk now since she can drape a blanket from the top bunk to make a clubhouse. Jim threaded the rope lighting underneath the top bunk mattress and attached it to a Christmas light clicker. I have to admit, even I like to hang out in her clubhouse.
Unfortunately, after bedtime she'll turn on the lights and read. We'll see a glow of light underneath her door and walk in to bust her; she's like a deer in the headlights with a pile of books next to her and one in her hands. It's hard to get mad at her since Jim and I did the same thing as kids, and she sees us reading all the time. I had read (LOL) at some point that children seeing their parents read and having books around the house is as much of an influence as reading to them. If that's the case, she's definitely got a lot of environmental influence.
While it tickles us that she "inherited" our love of reading, we've got to deal with the constant rule-breaking and resulting sleepy/cranky kid the next morning. We're okay with her reading for 20-30 minutes in bed after we finish reading her official bedtime story, but we'll find her up at 9 or 10 sometimes when we've clearly said "lights out".
After several days of threats to do so, Jim had to take her lights out last night. Sadness all around. It sucks being a parent sometimes, but a parent's gotta do what a parent's gotta do...
Appointments
I'm taking the girls to the pedi this afternoon for Reese's 5 year checkup and Sprinkle's 15-month. The pedi also wants to see Sprinkle for her hair pulling as well as her constant constipation. We've cut back her milk and added prune juice and prunes to her diet, but it's not helping too much. She'll have a day or two of good BM's, but then she'll go two days without one and really, really has to strain when that happens. She eats a pretty varied diet with plenty of veg and fruit, so it's perplexing that this is still an issue after the milk reduction (which she was definitely getting too much of.) I'm hoping the pedi has advice other than going with Miralax.
4 comments:
I have also heard that seeing a parent read is actually MORE influence than actually reading to the kid. I really need to figure out my time so I can get reading again. I walked in the library the other day and to my surprise I almost started crying, looking at the wealth of lovely books just asking to have their covers opened.
I hear ya! I was on a roll with reading there for a while, but it's definitely harder with two.
I keep a book with me everywhere and grab reading time during lunch, as I fall asleep, etc. Hopefully when Nolan starts sleeping through the night you'll get more rest and have more reading-in-bed time. I find that's usually when I have a good block of time to read more than 15-20 minutes here or there (which I'll certainly take!)
I've also gotten more picky about finishing a book. I used to finish a book even if I didn't think it was all that entertaining because I wanted to give it a chance. Now I don't have the luxury of time to do so.
my big problem is that I like to read in LARGE blocks of time -- like 2h. So I need to either change my reading style or figure out how to consolidate free time into 2h chunks...
Daughter of a librarian here! When I was in Elementary school, I would read 4 and 5 young adult books per day during the summer.
I still remember getting my library card, and DD got her own this year!
It seems all I find time to read now are parenting books. I have a long list of books I want to read for myself. I'm hoping that when DS is just a little older I will have more time to read.
I can finish a book while a passenger in the car, but then I get car sick!
On a downer note, my father made a comment insinuating that I was an idiot & might as well be watching TV for reading Fiction vs. non-fiction. I was maybe 7 or 8 at the time and it still bothers me (and my Mom too).
Post a Comment