Monday, January 11, 2010

Miscellaneous Monday

Baby, the Original


I was looking through old posts and came across this old video of Reese. She was a few month shy of three in this video.  So sweet! It was nice to watch this again, and it totally brought a tear to my eye because now she's a worldly 5-year-old.   Seriously, sometimes I feel like I have a pre-teen/teen living my house!

It also reminds me I need to do a 5-year birthday post for her.  I was a month late posting about Sprinkle's birthday, so I have some time.  I mean, I don't want to show favoritism towards one by posting about her birthday sooner ;-)
Run, Vy, Run
I started running again about two months ago.  I had, for all intents and purposes, stopped running for about a year and a half;  I completed the Houston Chevron Marathon in January 2008 and became pregnant with Sprinkle in February 2008.  I ran a few times the early part of my pregnancy, an after her birth, I jogged a handful of times.    I don't especially enjoy running, but I love how I feel when I'm running consistently and how I feel when I've completed a run.   It was hard to get started back up again, so I decided to sign up for a race to motivate myself to train.   My long runs are up to 9 miles now, and I feel good.  Running seems to be easier this go around even though I'd stopped for so long, and I think the strength training I've been doing must be helping.

I had originally planned to do the Austin Half on Feb. 14, but  some good friends invited Jim and me to run the New Orleans Rock & Roll Half Marathon with them Feb. 28.  We're all staying at a B&B  and making a weekend of it - I can't wait!  It should be a really fun weekend, and I'm looking forward to the run itself.   I hear good things about the Rock & Roll series, and I can't help but think that New Orleans will be a particularly good one.  Plus, I'm only doing a half, which while is not exactly sitting on the couch eating moon pies, is a relatively easy distance that I can actually enjoy while doing.
C-c-crack!
My right foot has been going numb during my runs, and I've been pretty much ignoring it because it's okay a few hours after I'm done.  After last week's workout, the numbness and tingling extended through my entire leg, especially my hamstring area.  In addition, I was having pain in my right shoulder/neck area as well. This area is one I have had issues with on and off throughout the years (computer/desk/seat-related repetitive stress injury.)

I happened to mention it to my eye doctor, and she gave me a recommendation for her chiropractor.  I had an appointment last Thursday and immediately felt better afterwards.  She did a neck, hip, and spine adjustment (my left hip was 3/4" higher than my right hip along with various other skelo-muscular issues), and she showed me stretches I need to do daily to keep in good shape.   I'm also to stop crossing my legs and sitting on them when sitting in a chair (something I do without thinking) as it can put pressure on my sciatic nerve and therefore aggravate my foot/leg issues.  During this weekend's long run, my foot started to go numb, but it was isolated to my foot and was very minor compared to my last runs.   Hopefully things will continue to trend well because I'd like to do a few more half-marys this year.

3 comments:

Rachele said...

I remember that video!

Maybe you should do the portland half with damian. :)

mom2reese said...

Hmmm, 10/10 would make me about due for another Portland visit... tempting...

Rachele said...

The Portland marathon is 10-10-10 -- you have to do something special on a date like that! Jim can run too, and then we will take Reese and Madeleine to cheer you two on at various stops!

Website says they expect to sell out quickly.