Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Like a Hamster in a Wheel

I'd been keeping an eye out on Craigslist for a decent elliptical, and one came up this week, a Vision Fitness X6200.  While in an ideal world, I'd get a used gym-quality Precor, I don't have the thousands they go for used.   The X6200 seemed to fit the bill, and I stopped by the seller's house after work yesterday to check it out.  It was in good condition and had a nice, smooth action when I tried it, so we struck a deal.  She even volunteered her husband to deliver it because she's in the neighborhood.  Can't beat that!

I'm excited.  While I hate, hate, hate running on a treadmill, I don't mind the elliptical so much.  I think part of the reason is that when I run on a treadmill, it just feels like something I should be doing outside, not trapped on a machine indoors.   The elliptical is also not as hard on my lower back and knees as the treadmill is, which sadly, has become more of an issue with age.  

My trainer is really big on the idea that if you don't have time for a long cardio session, a hard, 20-minute workout is just as good.  The idea of getting ready and leaving the house just to do a 20 minute workout (oh, the inefficiency!) is just as unappealing as going to go do an hour-long workout.  Having access to get the quick workouts in is going to be nice.   Hopefully it doesn't just become an expensive clothes rack.

I weighed myself this morning, and I'm 1-lb over my pre-Portland weight.  I'm not really suprised since I ate like crap (burgers, fries, pizza, biscuits & gravy, cookies, cake....all things I do allow myself to eat, but not all in one weekend!), but it's still a tad annoying since I'm trying to LOSE weight.   Just not making progress would have been preferable.  Oh well, back on the wagon.  It was worth it!

No comments: