I flew up to Portland this weekend to visit Rachele and her family (and their latest adorable addition, Nolan). Rachele hosted a dinner Saturday night, so I got to see the Smiths and the Lurixes as well. On the menu was an assortment of pizzas, and it was fun helping out Rachele and Jay in their lovely new kitchen. What an arm workout - if I do this at home, it'll definitely be Jim's task to roll out the crust, LOL.
While in Portland, I also met up for breakfast with a friend I met through an online parenting board. We'd never met in person before, but we fell into easy conversation just like "real" friends that just hadn't seen each other in a while. We actually HAVE known each other for a while - I "met" her when I joined the parents.com parenting board when I was pregnant with Reese, looking for advise on this new phase of my life. Eventually, a group of women splintered off and started their own board, and for the past five years we've been together through the terrible 2's, pregnancies, the first days of kindergarten, cancer scares, cancer ass-kicking, laughs, and tears. It's also a really diverse group of women, running the gamut from teachers and lawyers, IT geeks, and SAHMs, and I've really learned a lot from all of them.
While it was great fun and only a short visit, I really missed Jim and the girls. We were happy before, but something *happened* after Sprinkle was born. To be cheesy, we feel a completeness now as a family that we didn't know was missing before. Jim and I talk about this often (we sit on the porch every night before going to bed for 15 minutes just talking and reconnecting), and it's like we are just completely in tune with one another and our goals. I can honestly say that I've never been happier or more content. Content is the perfect word to describe it actually - like all is right in the world and how it should be.
Okay, enough sap and back to reality. I have so much to do this week! We're throwing a Fajitas and 'ritas party Saturday for our friend Jason and his new bride, Seyi. Seyi's recently relocated to Houston from North Carolina, and what better way to welcome someone to Texas than Tex-Mex and tequila? Normally I wouldn't be too stressed about throwing a party, but Jim (aka Vy's Party Bitch, and I say that with love) is going to be out of town Wednesday thru Saturday. Fortunately, it's being catered, but at some point I got the wild hair that I was going to do cactus arrangements instead of flowers for decoration. Now I've got a box full of cacti taunting me from the back porch. Somewhere in between work and taking care of two kids on my own, I have to channel my inner Martha to finish the project. Seriously, where do I get these dumb ideas?
Monday, October 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment