Thursday, April 13, 2006

Back in the game...

I took Weez to the pedi Monday for the persistent fever, and it turns out she has raging ear infections in both ears. Her strep throat was clearing up after the Bicillin shot, but it was doing nothing for her ears, apparently. They gave her a shot of Rocephin (another penicillin), and her fever finally broke. She was back in school yesterday and is having a blast. I'm told she "plays hard" on the playground, and two skinned knees yesterday certainly support that :)

I just hate having to give her all these antibiotics, but what are you going to do? I'm not going to let her suffer through ear infections, but it's worrisome how many she's had to take in her 15 months. She's been on Augmentin, Omnicef, Zithromax, Omnicef again, Bicillin, and Rocephin. What's sad is that her pedi said that the number of ear infections she's had is not unusual for her age, and she's not yet at the stage where they would consider inserting tubes in her ears. The hope is that she'll get through this cold/flu season and that by the next cold/flu season, her ear canals will have developed such that she'll be less prone to infection when she gets a cold.

I have to admit it's times like this when I think I don't want to have another child. It's just so frightening to have a sick child that you can't help, and it's the worst feeling. I don't know if I could handle having two sick children... I'm sure I'll be back on the "I want to have another baby" wagon as soon as I see someone's cute newborn. For now, though, Weez is my world and it's all I can do to keep her safe, healthy, and happy.

No comments: