Monday, August 14, 2006

Vy Trump

On Saturday, one of my girlfriends and I drove to see the house I'm remodeling. I'm armed with a notebook and a digital camera so that I can start taking notes. We don't close until the end of the month, but the owners have given us copies of the keys so that we can start getting contractor bids. After driving down the street a few times and not seeing the house, I sheepishly call J.

"Um, what's the address of the house again?"

Once I get on the right street, I quickly find the house and we hop out. And I realize I forgot to bring the keys. So much for getting off on a good start.

In any case, it was good to get another look at the outside of the house and bounce ideas off my friend. I tell her about the crazy lady who lives next door - she had stopped J and said, "you know the house is haunted, right? It's filled with ectoplasm." Hmmm, yeah...

While we were chatting, a little old lady walked over from across the street. Ella has lived in the neighborhood for over 60 years, and she's known both respective owners of the home. Of course, I had to mention the neighbor saying the house was haunted. "Eh? Ecto what?" Not that I really thought the house was haunted, but Ella confirmed that no had died in the home and that yes, the neighbor was crazy. Side note: when I mentioned this to J, he told me I should never ask if someone died in a house since once I know, I'd have to disclose it when selling. Ah, so much to learn!

2 comments:

Rachele said...

Is that dying in the house disclosure a Texas thing?

Is it that the person died *in* the house, or a person died when they were living at the house?

mom2reese said...

not sure if it varies state-by-state, but if it's if someone died ON the property (I guess that includes the yard).